Prospective Belk College M.S. in Mathematical Finance (MAFI) students who meet certain requirements may request a GMAT/GRE waiver. Meeting the minimum requirements to request a waiver does not mean an automatic waiver of the test, nor does it guarantee later acceptance into the program. Furthermore, an unapproved waiver application does not mean that a candidate will be denied admission to the program. It simply means that the MAFI program is requiring the GMAT/GRE as additional information needed to evaluate an applicant's academic readiness and qualitative competencies.
To be eligible to request a GMAT/GRE waiver, candidates must fully satisfy the requirements of one of the following criteria:
- Early Entry Applicants - undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or above, with grades of A or B in Economics, Math, Statistics and/or Finance courses
- General Applicants - a minimum of three years of domestic work experience in finance, quantitative analysis, computer science or other highly quantitative/analytical field with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 OR five or more years of international work experience in finance, quantitative analysis, computer science or other highly quantitative/analytical field with a minimum 3.0 UGPA
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Econometrics Certificate or M.S. in Economics Students - completion of a minimum of two courses earning grades of B or above, and have a graduate GPA of 3.0 or above
All GMAT/GRE waivers are at the discretion of the M.S. in Mathematical Finance program. If candidates are unable to secure the GMAT/GRE waiver, they are required to submit official GMAT/GRE test scores through their M.S. in Mathematical Finance program application.
Applying for a GMAT/GRE Waiver
To apply for the GMAT/GRE waiver, candidates will need to complete a two part application process:
- Create an M.S. Mathematical Finance application for the term you want to be admitted in the UNC Charlotte Graduate School's online application portal. You will need to upload a copy of your current resume/CV and unofficial academic transcript(s) of all post-secondary education. Please note that you are NOT required to fully complete and submit your application to have your GMAT/GRE waiver request considered.
- Complete the GMAT/GRE Waiver Request form.
*Candidates who earned their degree from a foreign institution may be asked to obtain a credential evaluation from a NACES provider to verify they meet the GPA requirement.